This thesis considers the representation of the Shannon Scheme hydro-electric power station from 1924 to 1932, during the first Cumann na nGaedheal Government of the Irish Free State. The station was constructed by the German company Siemens and was the first large-scale building project carried out in the new state, starting in 1925. The
semi-state Electricity Supply Board was formed by the Government to run the power station in 1927 and it began generating power in 1929, forming the basis for rural electrification after the Second World War.
|Date of Award||Sept 2011|