The so-called Falmer Cupid is a competently-executed copper alloy figurine which was apparently found by a ploughman on the Downs around Falmer. The figurine came into the possession of George Fleming Richardson, curator of the ‘Mantellian Museum’ attached to the Royal Sussex Scientific Institution. Richardson presented the figurine to Dr Gideon Algernon Mantell in 1836. The Cupid remained with Mantell until his death in 1852, after which it was acquired by the British Museum. Although the figurine has some Cupid-like attributes (it is naked with a quiver of arrows), it lacks wings. It is proposed that this figurine represents Apollo, who is also depicted divinely naked, with a bow, but without wings.
|Journal||Sussex Archaeological Collections|
|Publication status||Accepted/In press - 13 Dec 2018|