My research interest is focused on developing a parent education model that addresses the issue of breaking the cycle of outdated generational parenting practices, which no longer facilitates the holistic development of young children. My doctoral thesis interrogated the issue of the development of nurturing and responsive parent-child relationships by parents who were harshly parented in the context of the post-colonial society of Trinidad and Tobago.
Upcoming research projects:
- To design a parent education model which deconstructs parents parenting behaviour, before offering them alternative parenting strategies. (Why did parents choose specific parenting strategies?)
- To research - Navigating/balancing the voices of new parents, and the voices of infants & toddlers within the developing parent-child relationship.
Early Childhood Teacher Education
1. Issues surrounding early childhood teacher education and training pedagogy within online, blended and face-to-face learning modalities. To what extent are these learning and teaching modalities preparing a competent early childhood worforce?
The Dynamics of Relationships
2. Issues surrounding the different relationship dynamics within the early childhood context; parent-child, teacher-child & parent-teacher relationships. How are these relationships addressed within early childhood centres and national policies?
Inclusivity & Multiculturalism
3. Issues surrounding the integration of inclusivity & multiculturalism in early childhood teacher training modules, and in early childhood programmes and curricula.
4. Issues surrounding the inclusion of authentic voices within research projects that focus on young children and their families.
PhD, Adopting nurturing and sensitive child-rearing practices in Trinidad: an exploration., University of Sheffield
Award Date: 28 Jun 2016
Master, University of Sheffield
Award Date: 23 Nov 2004
Bachelor, University of the West Indies St. Augustine
Award Date: 1 Jul 2001
Certificate Counselling in Education , Roehampton Institute
Award Date: 7 Feb 1997
Diploma in Early Childhood Studies, Roehampton Institute
Award Date: 24 Nov 1995
Certificate in Early Childhood Education, University of the West Indies St. Augustine
Award Date: 1 Jul 1993
- 1 Similar Profiles