Research Output per year
Dr Ioannis S. Pantelidis FIH, FAHMA, HMdip, MSc, PhD is Chair of The Council for Hospitality Management Education, Director of The Association of North America Higher Education International, Principal Lecturer, Academic Leader for widening participation projects and Head of Admissions, Marketing and Recruitment Tutors in the School of Sport and Service Management (SaSM). Previously he was the Programme Centre Leader for Postgraduate Courses for SaSM and was a founding member of the European Hospitality Academy. He is a Fellow of both the Higher Education Academy and the Institute of Hospitality.
He has served in the Executive Boards of The Institute of Hospitality, Tourism Concern and Cavendish Academy.
Until February 2011, he was Head of International Hospitality Research Group, Course leader for MA international Hotel and Restaurant Management and Senior Consultant Events Management Knowledge, at London Metropolitan University.
Until 2006 he was Course Leader BSc International Hospitality Management at University of Surrey. Prior to that, he held Management positions in hotels and restaurants across Europe.
He is visiting professor for Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences, an External evaluator for professorship promotions with the University of Patras and was visiting Professor for the University of Granada.
Raised on the island of Leros, Greece Ioannis comes from a family of hoteliers and restaurateurs. He is proud of both his Hellenic and Career inheritances.
Ioannis on Social media:
I prefer applied research and research that has real practical implications for industry and, where possible, the society. My research interests currently focus on digital, online, mobile technologies and the consumer; big data; consumer behaviour in hospitality; consumer and sustainable food technologies; social media addiction; hospitality and the refugee crisis (almost always in the context of hospitality management).
I like to give back to the research community and as such, I am directly involved in the editorial boards of six academic journals. More specifically I am Co-Editor-In-Chief for Tourism and Hospitality Research (THR) by Sage. I am also Associate Editor for Journal of Tourism (Revista de Turism). I currently sit in the editorial boards of Journal of Vacation Marketing (JVM), Tourism Today Journal (COTHM), Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology (JHTT) and previously for the Journal of Tourism & Sport (LJTSCI). I am also a regular reviewer for the following journals: The Services Industries Journal (SIJ), Journal of Tourism Planning and Development (TPD) Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. (CHQ).
I really enjoy supervising PhDs and welcome any expression of interest in the areas of my research from potential PhD students.
A research student view:
"As a PhD supervisor, Ioannis’ approach was that of continuous support, encouragement and positivity. Whilst offering critical advice, Ioannis would also allow me to find my own solutions whilst gently guiding me to possible alternatives. He never stopped believing in my abilities and was a great mentor along this challenging journey"
Dr Maria Gebbels, PhD student graduated 2017
Approach to teaching
I like to combine experiential learning with co-creation where my students' work does not go unnoticed by the world outside the classroom. I see myself more of a facilitator rather than a teacher as I believe that my students are adults who can teach themselves. Seeing myself as a facilitator or a guide, if you prefer, I believe that I am here to help younger ones seek their version of the truth. Some have called that being a practical philosopher, but I call it having fun whilst my students and I keep on learning. I utilise technology to facilitate peer assessment and feedback and engage with industry professionals who ensure my students receive added value and inspiration. I believe that my teaching is not limited to the classroom and I engage with students in a number of extra curricular activities, from student competitions, movie nights and mentoring student societies, to debating societies and running experiments and charity projects.
I often bring my students (especially those who are more thirsty for knowledge) out in the research field and I do not limit my teaching to the hours dictated by a module. When it is difficult to bring my students to the research field, I bring the research field to my students. I believe that in order to become a good researcher you need to practice, practice, practice so we often engage in fun social experiments or workshops that are designed to enhance not only the knowledge about the course but also team spirit, confidence and research skills.
I engage with all levels from first-year undergraduates all the way to PhDs and frankly quite often long after my students have graduated. I have been invited to many happy occasions and it’s the best pay-cheque in the world when I see my students happy in either their professional or personal life. I feel truly privileged to be working with my students as they often inspire me more than I inspire them.
In my teaching and life, in general, I believe that thinking in the circle is more efficient than thinking outside the box, as thinking in the circle enables individuals to use readily available information and combine it with elements of influence and inspiration in order to maximize efficiencies.
A student view:
"As a student, I know that I can approach Ioannis with any questions or issues, and that he will always try his best to help me or point me in the right direction. As a teacher, Ioannis seems to instinctively know how to relate to any students in his class, by using examples from all walks of life. Ioannis has a strong thirst for learning and sharing this with his students. As a student, it is very inspiring to see someone organise so many activities and experiments both in and outside the classroom"
Irina Martinez Panina, BA (Hons) International Hospitality Management, Class of 2017
Journal Editorials and Reviewing
- Tourism and Hospitality Research. Co-Editor-in-Chief. (2013 – Current)
- Journal of Tourism (Revista de Turism). Associate Editor (2009 – Current)
Editorial board membership:
- Journal of Vacation Marketing. (2011– Current)
- Tourism Today Journal. (COTHM) (2006 – Current)
- Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology (JHTT). (2017 - Current)
- Journal of Tourism & Sport (LJTSCI). (2007-2012)
Regular Reviewer for:
- The Services Industries Journal. Reviewer (2012 – Current)
- Journal of Tourism Planning and Development. Reviewer (2011 – Current)
- Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. (CHQ) Reviewer (2009 – Current)
Executive Board Memberships
- Chair - Council for Hospitality Management Education (May 2018 – Present. Vice Chair May 2015 – May 2018)
- Director of Association of North America Higher Education International (2017 – Present)
- European Academy of Hospitality Management; Founding member (2011 – 2017)
- The Cavendish Academy – Trustee/Governor. (2014 – 2017)
- Institute of Hospitality. Executive Councillor / Trustee. (2013 - 2016)
- CHME Council for Hospitality Management Education. Executive Board Member. (2011 - 2015)
- Trustee of Tourism Concern from February 2009-2012 (Member 2008-2014)
Memberships in professional bodies and associations
- Member of the UNTWO Technology in Tourism, group: 2017 - current
- Fellow of the Institute of Hospitality (FIH). London Branch Vice Chairman 2009 – 2012, Secretary: 2007 – 2009. Guildford Branch Chairman: 2004 - 2007. Treasurer: 2003 – 2004. (Developed the Passion4Hospitality awards)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy from May 2004
- Member of the International Food design society (iFooddesign) from 2011
- Member of the Information Resources Management Association, 2003-2005
- Member of the Faculty, American Hotel & Motel Association from August 2001
External Examiner and Collaborative Experience
- (2015 – Current) University of Patras - Professor External Evaluator
- (2013 – current) University of Wittenborg, Netherlands. Visiting Professor - PG level.
- (2014 – 2017) University of Granada, Spain. Visiting Professor - PG level.
- (2009-2011) INSTROCT, Hospitality Management, Tehran Iran
- Open University (2016 – Current) External Examiner for the UG Hospitality Management in the American College, Athens Greece.
- Cardiff Metropolitan University (2014 – 2017) External Examiner for Hospitality courses (PG and UG).
- University of West London (2013 – 2017) External Examiner for the MA Hospitality
- Oxford Brookes University (validated) (2012 – 2016) External examiner for the HOSPA revenue management course.
- University of Wales (2009 –2013) External Examiner for Hospitality courses (4 BA courses and one MA)
- University of Derby (2008-2009): Chief External Examiner for the Buxton Campus, Derby. Overseeing BoE proceedings for all Buxton campus courses. Mentor to new external examiners
- University of Derby (2004 - 2008): External Examiner for the Master of Arts in Hospitality Management (both in collaboration with the Swiss Hotel Management School and Derby based MA)
- University of Brighton 2016. Managed the process, redesign and revalidation of: MSc International Tourism Management, MSc International Tourism Development, MSc Sport Development, MSc International Hospitality management, MSc International Events Management
- University of Brighton (2014 - 2015) Managed the validation for MSc Sport Business Management and MSc Hotel and Restaurant Management
- University of Surrey (2015) External member of the validation panel for tourism and hospitality integrated masters courses at the Business School
- University of Malta (2014) External Reviewer for MA International Tourism and Hospitality Management
- University of Brighton (2013 – 2014 ) Managed the redesign and validation of the postgraduate portfolio (9 PG courses) for SaSM
- Kingston University (May 2009) External panel member for the validation of BA (Honours) Tourism and Hospitality Management in collaboration with ICBS, Thessaloniki Greece
- London Metropolitan University (Sept 08) Member of the Validation panel for BA (Honours) International Hospitality Management in collaboration with INSTROCT, Tehran Iran
- University of Surrey (Sept 2004): Member of the panel for the quinquennial validation of the five Undergraduate programs in the School of Management (Tourism, Hospitality, IHT, Business, Retail)
- University of Derby (June 2004). External panel member for the review of a BA (Honours) in Hospitality Management in collaboration with the Swiss Hotel Management School
HOTEL SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT
- University of Brighton (2012 – 2016) Lead the creation of the European Academy of Hospitality Academy website and member of the committee overseeing the EuroBA, five hotel schools across five countries delivering a unique hospitality course
- London Metropolitan University (Sept 08) Lead designer for hotel management courses for INSTROCT, Tehran Iran
- University of Derby (June 2004). External panel member to inspect the Hotel School (Swiss Hotel School partner) newly renovated buildings and training kitchens
- University of Surrey (2001-2002): A brand new building for the Business School delivered with a new training restaurant, as operations manager I had to redesign the Kitchen to Restaurant access and ensure that all spaces, equipment and furnishings were appropriate
PhD, University of Surrey
Master, University of Surrey
Chair2018 → …
Director2017 → …
- H Social Sciences (General)
- Hospitalty Management
- Hotel Management
- Social Media
- technology-enhanced learning
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Research output: Book/Report › Book - authored
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Activities per year
Activity: Editorial work
Cruising with a Conscience: Navigating moral identity and the ethics of sustainability in the online cruise communityWeeden, C. (Supervisor), Jarvis, N. (Supervisor), Pantelidis, I. (Supervisor)
Activity: Research degree